Plain Speaking

My thoughts on sports, religion, politics, society, and everything else you're not suppose to talk about!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bardstown, Kentucky, United States

1995 Graduate of Western Kentucky University, History major/ Government & Speech minors. Love being a father and husband.

Monday, August 04, 2008

Fast versus good, a parent's struggle.

A new article from Associated Press reports that nearly every fast food option is extraordinarily high in calories. The article (click the link at the bottom to read), further reveals that despite an ever burgeoning kid's menu, "parents have to navigate a minefield of calories, fat and salt to find them." In other words, a degree in nutrition won't hurt if I want to keep my children from fighting same battle of the bulge that is rampaging across this country.

The real problem is that I am not winning the battle myself. I recently spoke to a registered nurse, who gave me the simplest diet plan I have heard to date. "If it tastes good, spit it out."
I really don't like that advice, mainly because I know it will work and I know I like eating food that tastes good. However, just like all other things in life, if I do something right a million times and my son and daughter MIGHT get it. If I do the wrong thing even once they WILL GET IT EVERY TIME.

I am really going to miss french fries.

AP Article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home