Plain Speaking

My thoughts on sports, religion, politics, society, and everything else you're not suppose to talk about!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bardstown, Kentucky, United States

1995 Graduate of Western Kentucky University, History major/ Government & Speech minors. Love being a father and husband.

Friday, August 01, 2008

I need a spider costume with 6 legs by 8AM tommorrow

Believe it or not, that is what my wife said once to my mother in law. The reason for this most bizarre request, was that Mom and Dad had failed my son. It was our responsibility to get a costume made and in the day to day rush of our life we let the kindergarten school play slip through the cracks.

If you haven't guessed by now "mamaw" came through for her youngest grandson. We were all present at my son's third stage triumph of his maiden school year. He knocked their socks of with his one line. That was the unanimous conclusion of our family.

One of the things that is sorely missing in our society today is a support structure for children when they need a spider costume made on less than twelve hours notice. (You fill in any minor emergency you like in that last sentence, but I think you get my point!) Our kids need for us, all of us to be able to deliver for them in these small but significant moments. We are so separated by doors and locks, technology and distance. Senator Clinton, wrong about so many things, was right about it taking a village. We seem to be slipping as a society in how we treat, educate, protect and rear our children.


Two days ago I found out that I am going to be the new den leader for my son's Tiger Den in Cub Scouts. My wife and I, and all the rest of the parents, will be attempting to nurture and lead these little guys through scouting. I really believe that there is much societal value to the process all of us, me included, will be going through. Each of these young men will learn from and with each other and hopefully gain life long friends that will form at least a part of the social structure that will support them in the future. My wife and I will be part of that for our son and his new friends in at least some small way.

I just hope none of them ever call me needing me to make a spider costume overnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home