Plain Speaking

My thoughts on sports, religion, politics, society, and everything else you're not suppose to talk about!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bardstown, Kentucky, United States

1995 Graduate of Western Kentucky University, History major/ Government & Speech minors. Love being a father and husband.

Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Other Species Known As Women

The title of this post might be a little misleading. Let me say right from the start, I am decidedly pro woman. Not in the liberal sort of way, but in the I think woman are great, even though they are a mystery to me sort of way. Really I promise, I love them, my mother was a woman and my grandma too.

I have always known that I didn't "get" women, what I didn't understand in high school, college, and even in my first five years of marriage is this: women and men are different. That is not to say that you won't encounter a tomboy or a guy that is skilled at traditional girl things. I am speaking in generalities.

The reason for this epiphany is my daughter.

Upon her birth two plus years ago, the other side of the human condition was revealed to me. The side of life that loves tea parties and dressing up. The part of humanity that just loves to try on new clothes that her grandparents bought. The part that instead of wrestling with daddy prefers to sit while Daddy holds her. The part that finds a two dollar Hannah Montana necklace in the store, puts it on before we can pay for it, and has yet to take it off her neck.

Now I realize that the difference between men and women is much like the difference between night and day. One starts where the other ends and the change is gradual but needed to differentiate the two. The world would be an awful place if it were all one or the other.

The world is better with fishing and tea parties!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home