Plain Speaking

My thoughts on sports, religion, politics, society, and everything else you're not suppose to talk about!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bardstown, Kentucky, United States

1995 Graduate of Western Kentucky University, History major/ Government & Speech minors. Love being a father and husband.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

What is your signature?

Anyone who knows me understands that I am a very loyal supporter of my school, Western Kentucky University. Later tonight the men's basketball team will be playing Witchita in the NIT. Someone in Witchita's local paper described a tradition at Western, the red towel, and described it as "dying out over the past several years". That shocked me, as a vocal fan I am never without my red towel and have even bought my son his first red towel.

You might ask why is this important. It's not, except for those of us that appreciate the differences between our school and others. If not for the things like the red towel, its history. Our legendary coach Ed Diddle started dying towels red to prevent theft of towels from the athletic department. The dye rubbed off on players and a deal had to be struck with a manufacturer to provide red towels. Diddle then began carrying a red towel with him during games and for the last fifty years or so the tradition has stuck.

*****update******
My beloved Hilltoppers fell to the Witcha State Shockers tonight. A close game in the final seconds. Funny I was talking about what you were known by and something interesting, by that I mean that it illustrates my point! Elgrace Wilborn, our center and human hi light reel was kicked out of the game for throwing a punch.

That marks the first time in my and anyone else's memory that a Hilltopper got kicked out of a game.

A wonder what people would think would be out of character for us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home